Since the coronavirus outbreak, working from home has become the norm for some. It can also be quite a challenge if you haven’t done it before. It can be tough to stay focused with all of the distractions of home right around you, plus feeling disconnected can get to you, too.
At the time of writing this we still have people coming into the office but we have deemed that “At-Risk” employees should be working from home.
Here are a few things you can do to try to effectively work from home.
1. Ditch The PJs – First, get changed out of your pajamas every morning. It’ll help get you in the right headspace for work and allow you to take video calls on the fly.
2. Workspace(s) – Pick one or more dedicated workspaces, ideally with a decent chair that will support your back.
3. Mornings – Wake up more than five minutes before your workday starts. You need time to prepare for the day, both mentally and physically.
4. Shoes – Sounds strange, but try wearing shoes, because let’s be real: You probably wouldn’t be chilling barefoot in an office.
5. Music/TV Softly – Listen to music or put the TV on quietly, since working from home can sometimes be a little too quiet, which makes it difficult to focus.
6. Lunch Breaks – Take a lunch break like you would normally do at work.
7. Regular Breaks – Take breaks so you don’t burn out. Stand up and stretch your legs!
8. Socialize – Be sure to socialize after work, even if it’s just a video call, to keep the loneliness at bay.
9. Household Chores a No-No – Don’t do household chores randomly throughout the day, since it can get distracting. Instead, schedule a specific time for them.
10. “I’m Working!” – Make sure the people you live with understand you’re working and to keep quiet when you’re on the phone.
11. Headphones – Use headphones and mute your microphone during conference calls (unless you’re speaking) to minimize the amount of audio feedback and times that random sounds interrupt the conversation.
12. Team Contact – Be in regular contact with your team, in part to make sure that you’re actually working from home.
13. Fresh Air – Go outside! Even if it’s just a quick walk or stretch, the fresh air will do wonders.
14. Stay Active – Finally, stay active. If you can’t go to an fitness class or to the gym, there are plenty of effective workouts you can do at home. YouTube them.
This list of helpful tips comes from our Third Age newsletter which can mail to you weekly, FOR FREE, with various tips, stories and more… all with the theme, Embrace Your Age.
If would enjoy more tips like these head over to Gophercentral.com and subscribe to Third Age for FREE!